Page 1 of 1

Boston, Sat March 21st

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:32 am
by Mike from Boston
Amazing show tonight. After twenty-two years of seeing the Pogues and/or Shane it never ceases to amaze me how wonderful they are.

It was very hard to pick out highlights-James like always, Philip doing Thousands and his great shoes, Shane sounding better and looking better- a modern science miracle. Jem kicking ass on Fiesta. Spider full of fun and fury. I think the setlist was similar,but we did get Boys from the County Hell, which I don't
think was played too much this tour.

Re: Boston, Sat March 21st

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:45 am
by philipchevron
Mike from Boston wrote:Amazing show tonight. After twenty-two years of seeing the Pogues and/or Shane it never ceases to amaze me how wonderful they are.

It was very hard to pick out highlights-James like always, Philip doing Thousands and his great shoes, Shane sounding better and looking better- a modern science miracle. Jem kicking ass on Fiesta. Spider full of fun and fury. I think the setlist was similar,but we did get Boys from the County Hell, which I don't
think was played too much this tour.


"Boys" replaced "Metropolis" when the Marseilles Figs left the tour. Only Boston heard "Boys" this time. Glad you liked the show, we thought it was pretty good ourselves.

Re: Boston, Sat March 21st

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:11 am
by Mike from Boston
philipchevron wrote:
Mike from Boston wrote:Amazing show tonight. After twenty-two years of seeing the Pogues and/or Shane it never ceases to amaze me how wonderful they are.

It was very hard to pick out highlights-James like always, Philip doing Thousands and his great shoes, Shane sounding better and looking better- a modern science miracle. Jem kicking ass on Fiesta. Spider full of fun and fury. I think the setlist was similar,but we did get Boys from the County Hell, which I don't
think was played too much this tour.


"Boys" replaced "Metropolis" when the Marseilles Figs left the tour. Only Boston heard "Boys" this time. Glad you liked the show, we thought it was pretty good ourselves.


Thanks Phil, It was great. Please come back next year!! Safe home.

BOSTON March 21st 2009

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:44 pm
by Broad Majestic Jimmy
Thanks a lot Pogues that was a great show last night.

I made it up to the third row on the floor, between Phill and Shane, right in front of Shane's drink stand. There was no way to get any farther, the first row was girls and the second row was their boyfriends shielding them. Everyone else behind was pusing forward, I wish they would have just danced. Guess I am getting old.

The music was great and Shane sounded great. I'm looking forward to next time.

Re: BOSTON March 21st 2009

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:44 pm
by tincan424
I actually made it to the front, in front of Spider. I started off 2nd row in front of Shane. The pushing was incredible and I ended up on the floor a couple of times. Those boys were not just protecting girlfriends. I was one of those being protected and Ijust met them. I think Spider tried to address the pushing with a comment about everyone should play nice. I also talked to the Security Guy in front of me and he said that was a problem (pushing and fighting) at the HOB. He also stated that when Dropkinks play it is much worse. It was a great show although I think Friday was better music and behavior wise. I did get to McGreevy's and met Spider, James and Darryl. Had a picture taken with them and they signed my 2004 Red Sox world series shirt.
Broad Majestic Jimmy wrote:Thanks a lot Pogues that was a great show last night.

I made it up to the third row on the floor, between Phill and Shane, right in front of Shane's drink stand. There was no way to get any farther, the first row was girls and the second row was their boyfriends shielding them. Everyone else behind was pusing forward, I wish they would have just danced. Guess I am getting old.

The music was great and Shane sounded great. I'm looking forward to next time.

Re: BOSTON March 21st 2009

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:35 am
by bdots
The show Saturday night was excellent. I was looking forward to it for months and it did not disappoint. Great performance, and the opening act was good to boot.

Re: BOSTON March 21st 2009

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:32 pm
by Broad Majestic Jimmy
tincan424 wrote:I actually made it to the front, in front of Spider. I started off 2nd row in front of Shane. The pushing was incredible and I ended up on the floor a couple of times. Those boys were not just protecting girlfriends. I was one of those being protected and Ijust met them. I think Spider tried to address the pushing with a comment about everyone should play nice. I also talked to the Security Guy in front of me and he said that was a problem (pushing and fighting) at the HOB. He also stated that when Dropkinks play it is much worse. It was a great show although I think Friday was better music and behavior wise. I did get to McGreevy's and met Spider, James and Darryl. Had a picture taken with them and they signed my 2004 Red Sox world series shirt.


It wasn't an angry crowd, nor too aggressive. But it was a lot of wasted energy just pressing forward and pushing back. I didn't want to give up my spot, so I was fighting like an old lion, holding back all that young muscle. One time I grabbed the rail, but that is verboten. So later on I just stuck my index finger out on the rail. Shane saw it and had a chuckle. Or maybe that was dreaming...

Before all that, we ended up late at McGreevey's having taken a wrong turn on the way to my friend's house. We lost an hour. The plan was to eat at McGreevey's and pub crawl to the gig. Once we got in it was pretty obvious that we wouldn't be eating there. Never-the-less, my friend and I forged on to the end of the bar to find 3 Pogues. They were finishing dinner and not yet ready to meet and greet so we turned to leave only to realize we were now separated from the other three more famished members of our party. We didn't see them again until it was all over, back at the car.

So my friend and I ate across the street at a fish place and went to Bukowski's and then a sports bar under Fenway. We are BU alumns and he wanted to check the hockey score. That's when we met the young blond nurse and her sister the Doctor (optometrist). Yeah, we still have it.

We left the place, stopped our pub crawling and walked over to the HOB.

Re: BOSTON March 21st 2009

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:27 pm
by Mike from Boston
[quote="tincan424"]I actually made it to the front, in front of Spider. I started off 2nd row in front of Shane. The pushing was incredible and I ended up on the floor a couple of times. Those boys were not just protecting girlfriends. I was one of those being protected and Ijust met them. I think Spider tried to address the pushing with a comment about everyone should play nice. I also talked to the Security Guy in front of me and he said that was a problem (pushing and fighting) at the HOB. He also stated that when Dropkinks play it is much worse. It was a great show although I think Friday was better music and behavior wise. I did get to McGreevy's and met Spider, James and Darryl. Had a picture taken with them and they signed my 2004 Red Sox world series shirt.

The three Pogues were mentioned in the Boston Globe celebrity page along with a picture of them with DKM Ken Casey (can't find a link to the pic)

"
A pint with the Pogues
Members of the Pogues paid a visit to McGreevy's before the band's sold-out show Saturday. Darryl Hunt, Spider Stacy, and James Fearnley said hello to fans who were enjoying a pint or two before heading to the House of Blues"

Re: BOSTON March 21st 2009

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:40 am
by Alex
Mike from Boston wrote:
tincan424 wrote:I actually made it to the front, in front of Spider. I started off 2nd row in front of Shane. The pushing was incredible and I ended up on the floor a couple of times. Those boys were not just protecting girlfriends. I was one of those being protected and Ijust met them. I think Spider tried to address the pushing with a comment about everyone should play nice. I also talked to the Security Guy in front of me and he said that was a problem (pushing and fighting) at the HOB. He also stated that when Dropkinks play it is much worse. It was a great show although I think Friday was better music and behavior wise. I did get to McGreevy's and met Spider, James and Darryl. Had a picture taken with them and they signed my 2004 Red Sox world series shirt.

The three Pogues were mentioned in the Boston Globe celebrity page along with a picture of them with DKM Ken Casey (can't find a link to the pic)

"
A pint with the Pogues
Members of the Pogues paid a visit to McGreevy's before the band's sold-out show Saturday. Darryl Hunt, Spider Stacy, and James Fearnley said hello to fans who were enjoying a pint or two before heading to the House of Blues"


here are some pics:
photo 1
photo 2
photo 3
photo 4
photo 5

http://devonshire-photography.blogspot.com/

Re: BOSTON March 21st 2009

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:11 pm
by piriweepu
Hi folks -- great show, Philip!!!

Does anyone have a full set list? I recall most of it, but was struggling to remember a few...

Thanks!

Re: BOSTON March 21st 2009

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:53 pm
by Charles
Streams of Whiskey
If I Should Fall From Grace
Broad Majestic Shannon
Turkish Song of the Damned
A Pair of Brown Eyes
Repeal
Cotton Fields
Greenland Whale Fisheries
Sayonara
Tuesday Morning
Kitty
Sunny Side of the Street
Boys From County Hell
Body of an American
Lullaby of London
Thousands are Sailing
Dirty Old Town
Bottle Of Smoke
Sickbed
-------
Sally MacLennane
Rainy Night In Soho
Irish Rover
-------
Poor Paddy
Fiesta